Types of Mattresses & Mattress Toppers - Buying & Pricing Guide in 2019 Australia
Author: Bargains Online Date Posted:26 March 2019
Is it time to change your old, worn out mattress? Well, if you’ve not had a blissful sleep at nights during the last few days and you have finally figured out that the actual problem might be your exhausted mattress. Maybe your mattress is over 5 years, 7 years or 10 years, or you may have observed that it sinks a bit at the centre. Undeniably, the right mattress is vital to get a good night’s sleep. We will reveal a comprehensive list of eight different types of mattresses, which will allow you to pick the best mattress for you and your partner.
Types Of Mattresses in Australia
1. Latex Mattresses
Latex mattresses are made using latex foam, and high-quality latex mattresses are made using natural materials, whereas, most of the memory foam mattresses are made using synthetic materials. To accommodate back, tummy or side sleepers, latex also provides different levels of firmness and lavishness. The benefit of latex is that it’s less dense and heats up less compared to the memory foam.
- Ultimate in comfort: When you lay down on a latex mattress, you will feel the soft sinking feel, which is followed by a floating supportive sensation. Due to the natural flexibility of latex, it feels exceptionally comfortable.
- Aids in Reducing Pain: Latex mattresses are a perfect choice for those suffering from back pain or joint pain.
- It’s best for aligning spine naturally: A big benefit of latex mattresses is their ability to improve the spine alignment.
- Latex is fully a natural product: It is made from the sap of the rubber tree (Hevea brasiliensis); its milky-white sap is processed into a comfy foam mattress block. Unlike other mattresses, you need not fret about the presence of any toxic chemicals or metals in a latex mattress.
- Allergen Free: A large portion of allergies in the bedroom is induced by the body’s reaction to proteins generated by mould or dust mites. As latex mattresses are naturally resistant to mould and dust mites, they just don’t contain these allergens. Thus, individuals suffering from allergies throughout the year may get relief with a latex mattress.
- Exceptional air circulation: Latex being a natural open-cell structure, it aids in exceptional airflow. Moreover, a series of pinholes are added during the processing of latex, and this augments airflow even further.
- No spreading of movement: Latex has natural resiliency, which means movement on one mattress side is not spread easily to the other side. That means suppose you sleep with your partner, both of you will feel a lot more relaxed and comfortable and sleep more profoundly than you would on a mattress that spreads movement.
- Highly durable: Latex mattress is highly durable and they last a lot longer compared to other types of mattresses before needing to be changed.
- Cost: Generally, latex mattresses tend to be pricier compared to polyurethane (PU) foam mattress or a regular spring coil mattress. However, they easily pay off as you won’t have to replace them often plus they offer enhanced performance, giving you more comfortable sleep, great body support and a more hygienic way to sleep.
- Heavy: Latex mattresses are heavy and moving it can be a little stressful. Therefore, if you often have to shift your home then you may have to rethink; else, latex mattresses are just amazing.
However, benefits outweigh the drawbacks and if cost and weight is not a problem, then you should consider latex mattress for their many advantages.
2. Coil or Spring Mattresses
Coil mattresses are also known as innerspring mattresses; they make use of internal support of metal springs. Normally, you can measure the support quality of a coil mattress by identifying the number of coils in the design. The number and allocation of coils will decide how well the mattress will gel with your body. Moreover, coil beds can have different spring shapes and coil measures that can affect the quality of back support. The right type of coil or innerspring mattress is required to sleep comfortably by those who prefer sleeping on their back, tummy or sides.
- Durability: The mattress serves you longer. This is because of their right construction; they are made to provide the same level of comfort for many years.
- Better Air Circulation: We all know how important proper air circulation is for good night’s sleep. Spring mattresses have a significant amount of space between them, thus, it facilitates easy ventilation. This aid in averting the build-up of body heat and boosts better sleep.
- Consumer Familiarity: From a long time, coil/ spring mattresses have been in the market, so it’s a familiar mattress option. Therefore, any new technology introduced in spring mattresses would have a higher probability of being accepted by customers, as they are familiar with the mattress type. The underlying reason is customers wouldn’t want to spend huge money on a totally new mattress type just to experiment with it.
- Affordable: Before buying a mattress, the cost is an important factor one needs to take into account. The price of an innerspring mattress is affordable that’s the reason so many use them. For all budget-conscious customers, this mattress type could be the perfect one.
- Inadequate Back Support: Innerspring or coil mattresses fail to provide adequate back support and they don’t address spinal alignment as well.
- Movement Transfer: The movement of one partner can bother the other, so this could be a problem for couples.
- Aching: Spring mattresses don’t allocate your body weight consistently. As each spring pushes back with the same vigour, pressure points are obvious.
- Deteriorate Faster: Normally, spring mattresses tend to deteriorate faster as the springs lose support and the padding gets crushed.
- Difficult to set-up: Spring mattresses, due to its complicated structure, can be very bulky and difficult to move around. Thus, it would be hard to take the mattress outside to clean it or air it.
3. Memory Foam Mattresses
If you want an excellent comfort and support then memory foam mattress is a great choice, especially for those who prefer to sleep at their sides. Memory foam is trendy, as it steadily adjusts to your body while you sleep. When you sleep on your side, it provides the needed support to the shoulder and hip. The memory foam takes the shape of your body and facilitates you to feel partly bounded by the mattress while being supported. Besides, memory foam mattresses contain several layers of foam that defy the inclination to sink at the centre and remove the requirement to rotate the mattress on a regular basis.
- Reduce Chronic Back Pain & Neck Pain: Use of memory foam mattress for longer duration has been proven to lower chronic back pain and neck pain. Moreover, it has a positive effect on chronic respiratory problems as it facilitates breathing during sleep.
- Lessen Pressure Point Problems: Memory foam mattresses react to heat and pressure to lower pressure point problems. This means, your neck, spine and hips are realigned, uniformly allocating body weight and efficiently adjusting an incorrect sleeping posture.
- Comfort: The primary reason for opting memory foam mattress is due to their comfort. It nicely contours to your body and lowers pressure on your spine, giving you the best possible rest.
- Hypoallergenic & Dust Mite-Resistant: Made from materials that promote good health, memory foam mattresses are hypoallergenic and dust mite-resistant, which is excellent for individuals who are sensitive to allergy or has respiratory problems.
- Less Maintenance: Memory foam mattresses require less maintenance. There is no need to flip or turn the memory foam mattress and there is no sagging. On top of it, many of the good quality mattresses come with a very liberal warranty with anything from 10 to 25 years, which gives you added peace of mind.
- Uninterrupted & Peaceful Sleep: Memory foam mattress is silent, no creaks or squeaks, and is ideal for those who sleep next to a restless partner because there is no transmission of movement so you can enjoy an uninterrupted and peaceful sleep in the night.
- Pricier: When compared to a regular mattress, a memory foam mattress of the reputed brand may be pricier; however, it’s better for your body and serves you longer.
- Heavy: Memory foam mattresses can be very heavy; however, as you don't need to rotate them this should not create a big problem.
- Odour: A common issue of an odour coming out from the mattresses has been reported. Well, this problem takes place when the memory foam mattresses aren’t aired adequately.
4. Gel Mattresses
In an innovative gel mattress, the gel is normally infused into a foam mattress within the support system or upholstery layer. It has a somewhat different feel compared to memory foam, so you may want to test it out to determine which type of feel you like. Furthermore, gel mattresses also disperse your body heat more efficiently. Therefore, if you don’t like the way some of the foam mattresses out there soak up your body heat, then cool gel mattress might be a better option.
- Back Pain & Pressure Relief: Gel memory foam softly responds to your body’s weight and lessens pressure points. By providing unmatched support, gel memory foam aids keeping your backbone appropriately aligned while you sleep, lowering backaches. Gel memory foam is great for side sleepers, as they won’t experience pressure on their shoulders and hips, providing uninterrupted and profound sleep. It also keeps your backbone aligned appropriately while you sleep, reducing backaches.
- Balanced Support: Gel memory form takes the shape of your body to offer personalised support where you need it the most, and it keeps you from sinking too far into your mattress. If you want a firm yet relaxed sleep surface, then go for gel memory foam.
- Better Air Circulation: The memory foam is infused with gel beads or particles – this insertion of the gel gives gel memory foam mattress with better airflow, which means heat can be more efficiently pulled off from the body. This generates a cooler sleeping surface, making it one of the most helpful advantages of the gel-memory-foam mattress.
- Pricier: Compared to conventional memory foam, gel-based mattresses can be pricier.
The Cooling effect May Not Last: Depending on the brand, this cool feel of gel-infused technology may not endure longer. Though the gel layer may feel cool in the beginning stages of sleep, its spongy nature may cause cool properties to reduce during the night. Actually, the gel may retain the temperature of the environment, thus, not able to serve its purpose.
5. Adjustable Base Mattresses
Adjustable base mattresses are amongst the most flexible mattress type that’s available on the market providing support and respite wherever you want it. You can adjust the base to raise your head, lift your feet, or lend more back support. They are ideal for sleep-related problems like heartburn, acid reflux, sleep apnoea, muscle aches, back pain and more.
- Minimise Back Pain: A movable bed frame can be easily adjusted to match the curve of the body as closely as possible, relieving pain and improve conditions like backache.
- Reduce Heartburn & Acid Reflux: If you’re suffering from acid reflux condition, then keeping your head a bit elevated while sleeping can help keep stomach acid in place, giving you a good night’s sleep and better digestion.
- Alleviate Chronic Pain & Arthritis: An adjustable bed can give you the right sleeping position for a peaceful night’s sleep, and at the same time, it reduces pain during the day. Lifting and lowering the mattress underneath the legs in the morning can assist in stimulating the flow of the blood.
- Reduce Swelling in the Leg: If you’re coping with a leg injury or illness, or you’re pregnant or work on your feet all day, it’s best to keep your legs raised to prevent swelling. An adjustable bed makes it possible for you to keep your legs raised.
- Improve Circulation: Well, your blood pressure starts to dip when you are sleeping; however, you can aid the process along by setting up your bed frame in a way that it lowers pressure. For those having circulatory issues, certain position levels can assist in improving blood and oxygen flow.
- Improve Sleep Apnoea, Asthma & Snoring: Breathing problems are the root cause of sleep apnoea, asthma and snoring. When you use a lofty mattress to lift the head, it takes the weight off the windpipe, facilitating for better airflow in the lying down position.
- Alleviate Sleeplessness: Anxiety and pain are some of the common causes of sleeplessness, leaving individuals tossing and turning all through the night. Adjustable base mattress and bed frames have many different positions available, which makes it simple to adjust to the most comfortable and restful position.
- Heavy: Adjustable beds are heavier than conventional beds.
- Noisy: Noise is a common problem with adjustable beds. From one bed to another, the noise may vary, but it’s not possible to eliminate the noise that comes with raising and lowering of the bed.
- Costly: The single most major disadvantage is their cost. Adjustable beds and mattresses are pricier than conventional beds and mattresses.
6. Pillow Tops Mattresses
Those who don’t like memory foam or gel mattresses can opt for pillow top mattresses, or mattresses having a pillow topper. Well, pillow tops are an extra layer of upholstery that you can add to the top of your mattress. They are cushiony and softer providing a similar sinking feeling like memory foam, which facilitates your shoulder and hip to sink into the pillow top and rest your back in comforting position. You can choose the softness level for your pillow top and they are normally used with a coil mattress or innerspring.
- Do not produce chemicals: Pillow top mattresses are less likely to produce chemicals.
- Helpful for side sleepers: Pillow top mattresses are typically useful to side sleepers having shoulder and hip pressure points.
- Low cost: Pillow top mattresses are extremely affordable.
- They Don’t Last: Pillow top mattresses aren’t durable, as they compress in a very short amount of time and lose their usefulness.
- They Aren’t for Hefty Individuals: Pillow tops aren’t a good option especially for heavier individuals, as they won’t get the relief they want from pillow tops.
- They Sink: After some months of usage, pillow top disintegrates and breakdown faster, so they sink and don’t provide good support when sleeping. If you are suffering from back pain or any other body discomfort, you should look for other mattress options.
7. Air Bed Mattresses
An airbed uses a compartment filled with air as the main support. The air compartment is cushioned with fibre or foam upholstery. The compartment of air is adjustable as well, facilitating you to tweak the firmness of the mattress. Some brands let you adjust and tweak each side of the mattress separately. Airbeds are excellent for back sleepers and for couples requiring distinctive firmness level.
Image Credit: Colemon
- Customised Firmness: Whether you want firm or soft sleeping surface, you can customise the airbed as per your needs. By inflating more air, you’ll get a firm mattress and less air means you get a softer lush surface.
- Back Pain: Although airbed is not considered the best option for back pain; however, if you’re experiencing back pain, you can make the airbed firmer by inflating more air and it really helps to alleviate back pain.
- No Sagging: An airbed won’t sag; however, when you encounter sagging, just pump in more air into the bed, and you’ll observe that the sag has vanished.
- Inexpensive: Popular brands like Coleman and Intex have achieved in lowering the cost of airbeds considerably.
- Short warranty: Airbed or mattress typically comes with shorter warranties when compared to other mattresses.
- Assembling the Airbed takes a bit of time: Once it’s delivered, it requires assembling and to set it up, you’ll need a professional’s help. It will take around 30 minutes to an hour to assemble it. Once it’s assembled, you won’t have to worry a bit.
8. Water Bed Mattresses
Unlike airbed, waterbed uses water as its primary support system and is best for those who sleep on their back. A waterbed is made up of a rectangular chamber holding water, which is cushioned with upholstery material like fibre or foam. The water can be maintained in a restricted-flow waveless compartment or a free-flow chamber. Well, in a restricted-flow “waveless” waterbed, fibres restrict the water's flow, whereas, in a free-flow waterbed, nothing hinders the water from flowing from one end of the mattress to another. You can choose based on the level of flexibility and support you want and whether you find the flow of the water distracting or not.
- Shape Remains Intact: As it’s filled with water, there is no likelihood of your mattress going out of shape with constant use. There is no need to rotate or flip to keep it cosy.
- Durable: It endures anywhere from 10 to 15 years, so you don’t have to worry about changing your mattress every five or seven years.
- Avert Dust Absorbance: Waterbed doesn’t absorb dust, so they are an excellent choice especially for those having dust allergies.
- Heating Water Is Easy: It’s easy to heat the water inside the bed, as it comes with an integrated heater. The warmness aids in comforting your muscles as you sleep, enhancing blood circulation. It’s especially helpful for painful or stiff joints and muscles. It will guarantee a blissful sleep even during extreme cold.
- Leakage: At times, your waterbed may get punctured accidentally, with the puncture being too small to detect at first, but slowly it will start water leak, damaging your floor and anything else that’s placed in the close proximity.
- Maintenance: Waterbeds require regular maintenance and care including repairing the damaged patches occasionally. Regular maintenance includes using a conditioner for the water and the vinyl outer cover, repairing or replacing the bladders in case of a leak. This maintenance and care can be somewhat worrisome.
- Heavier: Though weight is distributed in a waterbed uniformly, it’s considered heavy for newly constructed homes and may surpass the weight bearing capacity of some of the older residential properties as well.
Voila! You have just gone over the eight major types of mattresses. Now, it will be easier for you to choose the best mattress depending upon your particular requirements and budget. To identify what your budget is, we have put together the data concerning prices for the major types of mattresses here below.
Mattress Price Range in Australia 2019
To give you an idea about the price range for the different types of mattresses, we have listed out an approximate price range for each extensive mattress type below. Keep in mind that both coil types listed below include prices for hybrids (i.e. coil support with latex, memory foam or other added comfort features).
|Mattress Type||Single (92x187cm)||Double (137x187cm)||Queen (153x203cm)||King (203x203cm)|
|Memory Foam||$449 – $3,449||$679 – $3,999||$789 – $4,999||$799 – $7,499|
|Latex Foam||$349 – $2,549||$769 – $2,579||$749 – $3,449||$909 – $4,769|
|Gel Memory Foam Mattress||$599–$3,749||$799–$3,459||$899– $4,999||$999–$6,499|
|Air Bed||$299 – $999||$599 – $1,449||$649 – $6,459||$1,049 – $7,449|
|Continuous/open Coil||$119 – $2,399||$149 – $2,359||$189– $3,299||$249 – $7,459|
|Pocket Coil||$249 – $7,499||$249 – $7,999||$299 – $8,999||$449 – $9,999|
Types Of Mattress Toppers in Australia
Once you have selected the mattress, now it’s time to select a mattress topper so that you can lay it over your mattress for durability and comfort. Well, the mattress topper isn’t an essential component; however, it can keep you cosy, control your body temperature and offer added support throughout the night. A carefully selected mattress topper can even offer you an extra year or two before you’ll require changing your mattress that has outlived its age. Here are the five popular types of mattress toppers:
Memory Foam Mattress Topper:
Memory foam is made up of polyurethane with chemically improved density. Memory foam toppers are all the rage and they are available in a huge range of densities and thicknesses and render wonderful support and cushioning.
- It helps in curtailing pressure on arthritic or sore joints.
- It is tender, soft and cosy.
- It curtails motion from a tossing, turning bed partner.
- It lends significant comfort to an unsupportive, hard or ageing mattress.
- It can be quite expensive.
- Turning over or moving in the bed can be troublesome.
- It can get hot.
- When the topper is new, it may release some odour.
Latex Mattress Topper:
A special type of liquid obtained from the rubber tree is used to make natural latex. In addition, many synthetic latex toppers are available on the market, so if green living is vital to you, then ensure your latex topper is labelled as natural.
- It offers excellent support for painful or arthritic joints
- It is firmer than memory foam; however, it’s bouncy as well.
- Natural latex is extremely durable.
- Latex doesn’t transfer movements – it means that if your partner often turns and tosses during the night, then your partner’s movements won’t disturb your sleep.
- It can be an allergen for some individuals.
- It has the bouncy feel, which some individuals don’t prefer.
- Latex may be too firm for some individuals.
- Rubber can smell when the latex topper is new.
- It can be hot.
- Natural latex is pricier.
Image Credit: Pure Green
Wool Mattress Topper:
The wool mattress topper is the best material that’s available from nature’s abundance, which provides lasting comfort. They are naturally hypoallergenic, breathable and very luxurious bed toppers for greater comfort and uninterrupted sleep.
- It is very durable.
- In summer, it remains cool and during winter, it remains warm.
- It doesn’t block movement in bed.
- It is soft and comfy.
- It is naturally hypoallergenic and antimicrobial for a large number of individuals.
- It’s not easily available.
- It is quite expensive.
- When new, it will have a mild odour of sheep.
Image Credit: Choose Mattress
Polyester Blends Mattress Topper:
Polyester blends mattress topper is inexpensive but provides very less support. They are also known as fiberfill and are an excellent alternative for those who like the feel of feathers but have allergies.
- It is odourless.
- It offers some softness
- It is low-priced
- It can become chunky eventually.
- With use, it’s prone to compress.
- It can get hot.
- It has inadequate support or cushioning.
Feathers - Mattress Topper:
Feather toppers, often known as featherbeds, are identical to a quilt stuffed with feathers. They are sumptuously soft but offer very little support. Some individuals are allergic to feathers, so before buying a feather topper, make sure you and your partner aren’t allergic to feathers.
- It doesn’t hold heat.
- It costs less compared to latex or memory foam.
- It is exceptionally soft.
- It doesn’t obstruct turning over or moving in bed.
- Feathers have the disposition to compress with use, so they would need occasional shaking.
- They produce allergies in some individuals.
- Feather quills can dig through the fabric.
- It can get noisy and wrinkled
That’s it, the major types of mattresses and the most popular types of mattress toppers available on the market.
Image Credit: Wayfair
In a nutshell, both latex and memory foam mattresses are the best mattress types for alleviating back pain, lower back pain and a bad back. Whereas memory foam, gel infused memory foam and latex mattresses are the best mattress types for side sleepers. While an air bed is recommended for back sleepers and those needing a unique firmness level; however, water bed is also a good option for back sleepers. If you don’t have any back pain or any other issues while sleeping - you can certainly try other mattress types such as spring or coil mattresses and pillow top mattresses. If you’re someone who likes to read before dossing off, then an adjustable bed and mattress would be a great option.
In addition, you can supplement your new mattress with either latex or memory foam mattress toppers - both mattress toppers are proven to reduce backache/ bad back; moreover, they will increase the lifespan of your mattress by a year or two and provide support and soft cushioning.
Spending money on the right mattress and mattress topper is a worthwhile investment, as you will be spending more time on it every night to rejuvenate yourself before starting your day’s routine. That’s why it’s so essential to research well so that you can buy the best mattress and mattress topper for you and your partner.